|We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor. We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community. If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.|
Contest Portfolio Submission Deadline: TUESDAY, 1/1/2019, MIDNIGHT, PST!
Welcome to the 2019 Biotech Stock Picking Charity Contest!
Here are the 2019 Contest Guidelines:
1) Each contestant starts with a virtual $100,000 cash to be allocated to a portfolio of biotech stocks. Initial portfolio stock prices for the 2019 Contest will be set at their closing price on Monday, December 31, 2018. The Contest submission deadline is Tuesday, 1/1/2019, Midnight, PST. The Contest’s end date is Tuesday, December 31, 2019, 4PM EST.
2) Contestants are pledged to donate to the charity selected by the contestant with the year’s best-performing portfolio.
3) Only biotech stocks are eligible to be included in Contest portfolios.
Traditionally, we've defined "biotech" very broadly. However, if one or more contestants strongly object to a particular stock being categorized as a biotech, I’ll use my judgment to determine whether that stock is eligible for the Contest.
4) Foreign and low-priced biotech stocks are considered eligible. For foreign stocks, I will generally use prices from the exchange where that stock is most actively traded, with prices converted to dollars based on the appropriate prevailing exchange rate.
Contest portfolios overloaded with penny or illiquid stocks are frowned upon. In such cases, I may ask the contestant to change her/his portfolio composition. In addition, if one or more contestants strongly object to a penny or foreign stock pick due to it being illiquid, I’ll use my judgment to determine whether that stock is eligible for the Contest.
5) Each portfolio should include a minimum of 8 stocks and a maximum of 10 stocks. And each portfolio stock’s allocation is limited to a maximum of 20% and a minimum of 5%.
6) I use the Yahoo Finance symbols to download quotes. So if Yahoo uses a suffix in a stock symbol, please include it when posting your picks. To make it easier for me to set up my spreadsheet, here are two examples of the best way to post your picks:
As indicated above, all I need is the symbol (in UPPERCASE) and %age of $100,000 you wish to invest. Please leave a few spaces between the symbol and %age. It also helps if you alphabetize your stock picks.
7) Contest portfolios may be posted on this thread or in a Silicon Investor PM to me.
Portfolios posted to me by PM will not be made public until the Contest submission deadline has passed.
8) Stock picks may be rejected if it appears a contestant violated the Biotechie Code of Honor by taking unfair advantage of market-moving news (e.g., news following the 12/31/18 market close but prior to the 1/1/19 submission deadline). Contestants may appeal any such rejection.
9) No trading is allowed during the Contest year, with the initial portfolio being held until the Contest end date: Tuesday, December 31, 2019, 4PM EST.
10) In the case of buyouts for cash the proceeds will be reallocated to the remaining portfolio stocks. The initial portfolio percentage allocations to those stocks will be used to determine the reallocation percentages.
11) A contestant's pledge amount and designated charity may be posted along with the initial portfolio, or at a later date. Pledge amounts should be donated to the charity selected by the Contest winner.
In prior Contests, some contestants have also donated to a charity of my choice. But such donation is entirely optional.
12) Contestants objecting to decisions I make (e.g., rejection of a stock pick) may appeal my decision to the other contestants. I will change my decision if the majority of contestants who indicate their opinion on the appeal support it.
I generally post weekly Contest updates. For prospective new contestants who’d like to check out the 2018 Contest board, here’s the link:
The Biotech Charity Contest boards prior to 2018 are also available at Silicon Investor by searching for:
[year] Biotech Charity
Best wishes for a Healthy & Prosperous 2019 Biotechies!
Peace & good health,
|© 2020 Knight Sac Media. Data provided by IEX, Alpha Vantage, Coinbase, Binance, Fintel and CityFALCON News|