We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : BuSab -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?

To: Neeka who wrote (23858)12/30/2018 1:26:23 PM
From: SmoothSail1 Recommendation

Recommended By
Alan Smithee

  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 23934
We’re both lucky to have experienced extended blue water sailing. Best days of my life. I’d still be doing it if I had a 35 YO first mate. ;)

To: Neeka who wrote (23858)12/30/2018 7:30:24 PM
From: Joe Btfsplk  Read Replies (2) | Respond to of 23934
The ice fields just behind Juneau generate some incredible breezes in winter. They’re the Taku Winds. The Taku River comes off the ice fields just south of Juneau. When the breeze is up and it's 0 +/- the wind from the river inlet tears the tops off any waves, so the surface is near flat. The torn off wave tops are in the air, scooting along at 90 knots or more.

Once, returning from a hunt further south in late November we laid over in a great little harbor just south to wait out a Taku. After a day or two with no let up we decided to hell with it and headed for home.

The straight course across the channel is a long haul with the wind hitting starboard broadside, so we went directly into the wind up the channel, turned and came down the opposite shore with the wind driving on our port quarter aft. It was maybe five or ten above zero and wasn't only the hull icing.

In to the wind wasn’t too bad, then having it coming from behind was sort of OK. The turn in that wind was probably the scariest thing I’ve done, was damned lucky we didn’t turn turtle.

There was a mail boat that regularly crossed that water on the way to Juneau, and out. They’d often radio in and have a crew waiting at the harbor to chop the ice so they could get off the boat. That boat kept on schedule no matter what, and the Taku wasn’t the only hazard on their route.

Funny how serious frights become fond memories.