SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Technology Stocks : Qualcomm Moderated Thread - please read rules before posting -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Jon Koplik who wrote (122646)11/3/2014 10:58:11 AM
From: pyslent1 Recommendation

Recommended By
Jon Koplik

  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 173546
 
[ Personally ... I had no idea that Android was (roughly) 85% of smartphones shipped globally, and Apple was not even the remaining (roughly) 15%. Uh, why do we always hear about Apple so much ? ]

It depends on the context. Apple punches well above its market share class in terms of user engagement metrics (app downloads, web surfing, NFC payments), but if you are selling modem chips, you might make as much from a $50 mass market LTE phone as from a $650 iPhone. I'm still not clear how it works from a royalty perspective though.



To: Jon Koplik who wrote (122646)11/3/2014 1:59:25 PM
From: BDAZZ1 Recommendation

Recommended By
matherandlowell

  Respond to of 173546
 
Why do we always hear about Apple? Because they make tons of money. Instead of looking at them as a mobile OS company (as Apple against the rest of the world), look at them as a handset company against other handset companies. Very few enter a store and request an Android OS. They want a Samsung or an LG. I bet 85% have no idea or care what OS runs their phone. If Android had Siri and would auto post to my other devices I wouldn't care. (Wait now Apple pay is great too.) what counts is how does the Apple handset division fair against the handset division of any other company in the world. There isn't a division that wouldn't trade places with Apple in a heartbeat. I think Samsung is number one in units, yet they are struggling and Apple is flying, so what's more important, especially where investment is concerned? When Nok ruled the world they only had 38 percent unit share, not dollar share, and nobody will ever reach that again. (BTW are there any stats as to what percent of the high end market Apple owns.)