January 17, 2013
Aurcana Reports Fourth Quarter and 2012 Year to Date Production Results
Vancouver, BC, January 17, 2013- Aurcana Corporation ("Aurcana" or the "Company") (TSXV: AUN, OTCQX: AUNFF) is pleased to report the Q4 2012 and 2012 year to date production results.
Mr. Lenic Rodriguez, Aurcana's President & CEO, states: "We are very pleased to report record year to date silver equivalent production of 2.5 million ounces, up 42% from 2011, at La Negra. The increase in production is expected to continue in 2013 with an expansion in the mill capacity at La Negra and production ramp up at the Shafter mine in Texas. Aurcana is making good progress in its pursuit to become a senior silver producer."
FOURTH QUARTER and YEAR to DATE 2012 PRODUCTION HIGHLIGHTS
La Negra and Shafter Mine Updates
- Total production of silver ounces equivalent for Q4 2012 was 624,810, up 34% from Q4 2011. The 2012 year to date production of silver ounces equivalent was 2,539,008, up 42% from 2011.
- Total production of silver ounces for Q4 2012 was 336,956, up 27% from Q4 2011. The 2012 year to date production of silver ounces was 1,388,664, up 38% from 2011.
- Ore milled in Q4 2012 was 187,255 tonnes, up 49% from Q4 2011 and 691,260 tonnes year to date, up 37% from 2011.
- The 2012 year to date average grade of silver is up 2% to 78 g/t from 2011.
- The 2012 year to date average grades of zinc, copper and lead is up 6%, 3% and 14% respectively from 2011.
- Production figures originate from La Negra mine.
- In order to allow for an increase in future production, La Negra mine is increasing mill capacity to 3,000 tpd. The mill upgrade is expected to be completed by end of Q1 2013. As a result, a gradual increase in production is expected during 2013.
- On December 14 2012, the Shafter mine in Texas started commercial production. The mine is now in the ramp up phase.
- The Shafter Mine currently employs 162 personnel allowing for a continuous operation.
- As part of the ramp up plan at Shafter, the installation of additional filter presses will be completed in Q2 2013.
- Initial production results from the Shafter mine are expected to be included in Aurcana's Q1 2013 financial results.
About Aurcana Corporation
Arcana Corporation is an emerging senior silver producer with two operating mines located in Mexico and Texas, United States.
La Negra Mine, Mexico, current installed capacity is 2,500tpd. In order to allow for an increase in future production, La Negra mine is now working to increase mill capacity to 3,000 tpd by the end of Q1, 2013.
La Negra has a NI 43-101 M&I resource of 115.1 million (mm) oz silver, 1,418.7 mm lbs zinc, 539.5 mm lbs lead and 269.5 mm lbs copper and an Inferred Resource of 56.5 mm oz silver, 657.4 mm lbs zinc, 263.0 mm lbs. lead and 132.3 mm lbs copper.
Commissioning and mill testing of the Shafter Mine in Texas commenced on April 1, 2012 and commencement of commercial production was achieved in December 2012. The Shafter Silver Mine, according to the data from the published feasibility study, is expected to produce 3.8 million ounces of silver over 12 months once ramp up to its 1,500tpd capacity is completed.
Shafter has a NI 43-101 M&I Resource of 23.9 mm oz of silver and an Inferred Resource of 22.8 mm oz of silver. (All National Instrument 43-101 technical reserve reports can be found on SEDAR at: www.sedar.com) Aurcana continues to focus on its future growth
The Company's shares are also traded in the United States on OTCQX under the symbol "AUNFF". Investors can find current financial disclosure and Real-Time Level 2 quotes for the Company on www.otcqx.com and www.otcmarkets.com.
ON BEHALF OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF
"Lenic Rodriguez", President & CEO
For further information contact:
Lenic Rodriguez, President and CEO
Catalin Chiloflischi, Corporate Communications Director
Phone: (604) 331-9333
Toll Free: (866) 532-9333
Fax: (604) 633-9179