We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Biotech / Medical : Geron Corp.
GERN 3.395-2.4%10:54 AM EDT

 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext  
From: tktrimbath12/31/2020 7:30:30 PM
1 Recommendation

Recommended By
The Ox

   of 3563
My End Of Year Review of GERN

INTRO Here's my semi-annual exercise to see if I remember why I own the stocks I own, and so I can check back and see if their stories have changed. I post in case it helps others too.


GERN (market cap is $0.494B was $0.677B)

Geron is a biotech directed to gerontology issues. Originally they were pursuing several technologies but over the decades they've had to sell them off to financially sustain the remainder of the company. Currently, the prime technology is directed at telomere management, particularly for blood disorders. If successful, the technology should be applicable to other disorders like autoimmune diseases as well as cancers.

The good news is that the company has made it to Phase 3. A hurdle ahead of them is the FDA's tendency to require additional efforts from innovative technologies. (See Dendreon's history with Provenge for prostate cancer.) Their current trial plan may suffice. Their current trial plan still requires years of effort, then the approval process, then implementation, then adoption by the medical community, then hopefully getting paid sufficiently to make the company profitable. Hence, high risk. The ability to expand to other treatments is also the potential for high reward financially and in a humane sense.

I continue to hold, but have sold off most of my shares to concentrate on more near-term opportunities. I haven't sold off all, though, as I feel clinical trial news can be surprisingly positive without warning and the investment community's response can be more rapid than mine.

DISCLOSURE LTBH since 1999 and continuing to hold. I might consider buying more, but will probably wait for substantial, quantitative results to be made public - which would spark a spike that might price me out of the sale. Stay tuned.

(I've also collected links to the other discussion boards and my other stocks over on my blog )
Report TOU ViolationShare This Post
 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext