|Tech leaders and founders|
Huawei CEO says he did not expect such a ferocious, large-scale US attack on the Chinese telecoms giant
The Chinese company is unlikely to see much revenue growth with total sales expected to remain at around the US$100 billion level in 2019 and 2020
Published: 3:54pm, 17 Jun, 2019
Updated: 6:07pm, 17 Jun, 2019
Ren Zhengfei, founder and chief executive of Huawei Technologies, said he had not expected such a ferocious US attack on the company and that the move to add the world’s largest telecommunications equipment vendor to a US trade blacklist was expected to wipe out US$30 billion of sales growth.
Acknowledging for the first time the likely impact on Huawei of US action, Ren said on Monday that total revenue was now expected to remain stagnant at around the US$100 billion level in 2019 and 2020. He also said overseas smartphone sales had dropped 40 per cent, without specifying the time period.
“We did not expect that the US would attack us with such determination and on such a large scale,” he said during a panel discussion at the company’s headquarters in Shenzhen. “We made some preparations, such as for the core business part, but we have been unable to protect some of the secondary parts [of our business].”
Huawei wins half of China Mobile’s 5G network contracts while Ericsson picks up a third
On June 6, China granted commercial 5G licences to the country’s three telecommunications network operators and the nation’s cable network giant
Published: 11:22am, 17 Jun, 2019
Updated: 6:10pm, 17 Jun, 2019
China’s largest telecommunications operator China Mobile has awarded half of its 5G network equipment contracts to Huawei Technologies, in a boon for the Chinese telecoms giant after being squeezed in overseas markets by a US decision to add it to a trade blacklist.
The award of the 5G licences came after the US government put Huawei on a trade blacklist last month, which has severed the Shenzhen-based company’s access to American hi-tech suppliers, including semiconductor firms Qualcomm and Intel as well as software providers Google and Microsoft.
“Huawei is fully prepared” for the roll-out of commercial 5G networks in China, the company said in a statement after China granted the 5G licences.
Huawei’s Richard Yu may have the toughest job in the tech world - taking on Apple without Android
Yu’s career success in Europe earned him a place on the company board, the small 17-person circle that has the final say on Huawei’s entire business
Despite a stellar career, Yu’s off-the-cuff remarks have also brought him some trouble over the years
Published: 7:30am, 16 Jun, 2019
China’s top economic planner refuses to rule out playing rare earths card against US
The National Development and Reform Commission has again hinted that it may block America’s access to the strategic resources as the trade war drags on
China produces 90 per cent of world’s rare earths and has warned it will not allow them to be used to ‘curb country’s development’
Published: 7:37pm, 17 Jun, 2019
Updated: 7:37pm, 17 Jun, 2019
Lessons from an old trade war: China can learn from the Japan experience
In the last half of the 20th century US worries about a rising Japan led to tariffs and technology mistrust
Differences in the Chinese experience may predict a different outcome
Published: 12:00am, 16 Jun, 2019
Updated: 12:00am, 16 Jun, 2019