SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Biotech / Medical : GMED - GenoMed Inc.
GMED 73.28+0.9%1:50 PM EDT

 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext  
From: jmhollen4/20/2005 11:42:42 AM
   of 347
 
GenoMed Completes First Version of Healthchip(r) for Cancer Prediction

Contact: David Moskowitz MD tel. 314-983-9933 GenoMed, Inc.


ST. LOUIS, April 20, 2005 -- GenoMed, Inc. (Pink Sheets GMED) a Next Generation Disease Management company, said today that it has constructed a Healthchip® which may serve as an early warning system for the top six common cancers in whites: breast, colon, lung, ovarian, pancreatic, and prostate.

GenoMed's Healthchip® is made up of many single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs). In internal testing, the Healthchip® correctly identified the type of cancer in 85% of cases. None of the normals were misdiagnosed. More testing is required to confirm these results.

The well known breast cancer genes, BRCA1 and BRCA2, account for only 5% of breast cancers in white women. GenoMed's SNPs may pick up the remaining 95% of sporadic breast cancer cases in white women, i.e. in women without a strong family history of breast cancer.

Said Dr. David Moskowitz, GenoMed's chairman and chief executive officer, "It's important for any screening test to have as few false positives as possible. GenoMed's Healthchip® currently has none."

The test for mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes costs about $1,200, has been available for about a decade, and has been reimbursed by a handful of insurance plans for the past few years. GenoMed's test is currently available for research purposes only, and is not yet reimbursable by any health plan. Please contact Dr. Moskowitz at dwmoskowitz@genomed.com to inquire about GenoMed's testing program.

.
Report TOU ViolationShare This Post
 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext