| Moderated By: BulbaMan -- (Moderated) -- Started: 12/26/2011 12:51:33 AM Revision History |
CONTEST SUBMISSION DEADLINE SUNDAY, 1/8/2012, MIDNIGHT!
Please check Post #100 for changes in how initial portfolio stock prices will be set.
Welcome to the 2012 Biotech Charity Contest.
Here are the guidelines as I understand them:
1) Each contestant starts with a virtual $100,000 cash to be allocated to a portfolio of Biotech Stocks.
2) Only Biotech Stocks are eligible to be included in the portfolios. (Traditionally, we've defined "biotech" very broadly. However, if contestants strongly object to a particular company being categorized as a biotech, the company will be ineligible.)
3) Each portfolio should include a minimum of Eight stocks. (To make my scorekeeping easier, I'll set a maximum of 10 stocks per portfolio.)
4) A maximum allocation of 20% is allowed to any portfolio stock. (To make my scorekeeping easier, I'll set a minimum allocation of 5% per portfolio stock.)
5) Contestant portfolios may be posted on this thread or in a PM to me. The deadline for posting portfolios is midnight (PST), Sunday, January 8, 2012. But the earlier, the better.
6) No trading is allowed during the contest period, with the initial portfolio to be held until the contest end date. For the 2012 contest, I'll use the Friday, December 30, 2011 closing prices for the initial portfolio allocations. And I suggest we use Friday, December 28, 2012 as the contest end date. (Late portfolio posters will have the advantage of knowing the first week's price changes. Please don't abuse this advantage when choosing your portfolio stocks.)
7) In the case of buyouts for cash the proceeds will be reallocated to the remaining portfolio stocks. The initial portfolio percentage allocations to those stocks will be used to determine the reallocation percentages.
8) Foreign and penny biotech stocks have traditionally been considered eligible. (I suggest we continue this policy. However, if other contestants strongly object to a particular stock being eligible because it's substantially illiquid or trades at a super-low price, the stock will be ineligible.)
9) A contestant's pledge amount and designated charity may be posted along with the initial portfolio, or at a later date. Pledge amounts shall be donated to the charity selected by the contest winner.
Please post any questions, additions, comments, suggestions, objections, etc. to the above guidelines.
For prospective new contestants who’d like to browse the 2011 Contest board, here’s the link:
Finally, I use the Yahoo Finance symbols to download quotes. So if Yahoo uses a suffix in your stock symbol, include it as well when posting your picks.
To make it easier for me to set up my spreadsheet here are two examples of the best way to post your picks:
As indicated above, all I need is the symbol (in Uppercase) and % of $100,000 you wish to invest. Please leave about five spaces between the symbol and %age. There's no need to post the 12/30/11 closing price as I'll pick it up myself.
Best wishes for a Healthy & Prosperous 2012 Biotechies!