Some of you are missing the Rec's feature of Yahoo, it's here. I haven't figured out all of the moderator functions here yet, but I can "ban" a poster, so I'll state that the only reason I can think of for banning someone is consistent abuse of other posters and lack of content - you know who I mean - and it won't be permitted.
On the subject of political posts -
I'm going to quote SI Admin on their board policy:
To: PaulaGem (who wrote) 7/31/2006 5:12:30 PM
From: SI Admin (Dave)
I don't know anything about GERN. Geopolitical discussion that is relevant to GERN is of course okay. Partisan (ideological) politics are not, because they will wind up drowning out the subject that is supposed to be discussed.
In other words, no Bush bashing or cheering, no Israel bashing or cheering, no pontificating on the war... off-topic stuff that has nothing to do with GERN. SI does accommodate that dialog, but not on investment forum boards. In other words, not like Yahoo. :-)
I would not have even mentioned it except that I saw you specifically address it in the board's description and it contradicts our operating policies regarding off-topic posting on investment forum boards.
Folks tend to get passionate about Geron - Many of us think of this one as the "next Microsoft". Geronian has an excellent summary of the company's developments here:
Geron - there from the beginning ( also contributed by Geronian)
By Rick Weiss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 6, 1998; Page A01
..."The new work [first isolation of human embryonic stem cells] was reported yesterday by two teams of scientists working independently. James A. Thomson, an embryologist at the University of Wisconsin, and his colleagues describe their success in today's issue of the journal Science. John D. Gearhart of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore led the other effort, results of which will appear in the Nov. 10 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Both teams, along with a group at the University of California at San Francisco, had been racing for years to isolate the cells, viewed as a likely biotechnology gold mine. All three teams have licensed commercial rights to Geron Corp., a biotechnology company in Menlo Park, Calif..."
Geron's Programs, Patents and Cash
by: chrisclub 06/15/06 01:08 pm
Msg: 331019 of 331022
Cancer drug (GRN163L), Cancer vaccine (TVAX/GRNVAC1), cancer killing virus, Embryonic Stem Cells, Geron/Roche cancer detection, Geron/Proctor&Gamble drug testing cells, Animal cloning, AIDs Treatment, and much more.
Geron's Cancer Programs:
- GRN163L Leukemia clinical trial at 4 hospitals (3NY+1OH). At least 1 patient received first shot as of Sept 26, 2005.
- Second GRN163L clinical trial for solid tumor "all comers" started March, 2006 in Chicago.
- TVAX: Results from Duke Phae I-II clinical trial - PSA doubling time increased from 2.9 months to over 100 months, Cancer cells cleared from the blood. TVAX manufacturing process transfered to Geron. TVAX LAMP/ONTAK optimization trials underway at Duke in preperation for new Phase II clinical trials. Data already from 80 patients in TVAX trials.
-Onco Virus CG5757 licensed to Cell Genesys.
Tested against bladder and lung cancer in mice. "By 4 weeks after the first treatment, tumors in control animals had increased 9.4-fold in size, whereas tumors in animals
treated with CG5757 regressed to 72% of the original baseline size. 50% of the treated animals had complete regression of the 253J B-V tumor xenografts..."
Geron's Stem Cell Programs:
- ESC nerve cells allow paralized rats to walk again. IND for Clinical trial to repair spinal cord injuries expected in 2006.
- ESC islets treat diabetes; 80% of animals alive on day 50, while all controls had died.
- ESC heart cells fully repair damaged hearts in 1 month.
"They engraft and integrate into normal rat hearts, and in the
Stanford study where we gave these cells to the mice that had a
massive infarct and then came back four weeks later, we show that
animals receiving human cardiomyocytes in the presence of antioxidants have their cardiac output restored almost to the normal value."
- ESC derived liver cells, modified to turn green to make detection of active compounds easier in Drug discovery.
- ESCs: "We have scalable GMP manufacturing with a patented,
chemically defined serum and feeder free methodology".
- ESCs: "We have two lines fully qualified for human use and we have multiple new lines that have been derived without any mouse feeders in the derivation process"
Geron's AIDs and organ/cell rejuvination programs:
- HIV treatment in a new 50% Geron/50% China owned company to test Geron compounds that activate telomerase to rejuvinate the immune system of HIV patients. Currently in a liver repair study, to start stroke and heart repair studies.
Geron and Exeter Life Sciences formed stART, to License animal cloning technologies. This portfolio includes Geron's "Dolly" cloning patents as well as Exeter's patents for producing protiens in milk and Exeter's patents for chromatin transfer.
Geron/Roche Cancer Detection equipment:
-Geron/Roche cancer detection equipment to be sold in Europe in 2006.
(as of June 14, 2006 (Needham slide 29).
Stem Cell Patents:
US = 21
Foreign = 30
Pending = 231
US = 103
Foreign = 152
Pending = 165
US = 5
Foreign = 39
Pending = 52
Total US = 129
Total Foreign = 221
Total Pending = 448
Total US, Foreign and Pending = 798
Cash and cash equivalents (3/31/06) = $189 million
Current cash burn rate = $33.5 million/year (2005)
5.4 years of cash at current burn rate
Debt = $0