|The Nokia 900 Lumia (AT&T) Reviews ... |
Below are links to 30+ hands on media critic reviews of the AT&T Lumia 900 from Nokia that have appeared since Nokia lifted the embargo on reviews to the publications they supplied the Lumia 900 to at 9 PM on Tuesday evening. On balance they are certainly favorable. The bracketed rating -- [8/10] e.g. - that appears at the end of each reviews key line is the overall numerical rating of the device supplied by " gdgt.com" for 27 of the reviews I've listed below and those they didn't rate substitute NR. The average rating or the 27 reviews was 8.0 out of a possible 10 and there aren't (and shouldn't be) any 10s since there is no perfect smartphone, and certainly none to suit all tastes.
• ABC News | Joanna Stern: Nokia Lumia 900 Review: A Lot of Phone for $99 [8/10]
"It has a striking design, beautiful display, solid camera, fast data speeds, and a very clean and easy-to-use operating system. ... However, Windows Phone and its application ecosystem still lag behind Apple's iPhone and the many Android phones."
• All Things D | Walt Mossberg: It’s Big, It’s Blue, It’s Windows, but Can It Beat Rival Phones? [7/10]
"If you’re looking for a $100, high-end smartphone, or are a Windows Phone fan who has been waiting for better hardware, the Lumia 900 is worth considering. But the phone had just too many drawbacks in my tests to best its chief competitors."
• Anand Tech | Brian Klug: Nokia Lumia 900 Review - Windows Phone with LTE [8/10]
"Ultimately the Lumia 900 doesn't really change the balance of power in the smartphone OS competition as it stands right now .. It's really the same Windows Phone 7.5 Mango we've seen and talked about before. "
• Ars Tehnica | Casey Johnston: The Nokia Lumia 900 review [8/10]
"As a smartphone, the Lumia 900 is more than competent, and a better choice than many Android phones out there for the same price (if you aren't tied into the ecosystem). On design, it certainly wins against most Android phones, even higher-end models, and it bests many on features."
• BetaNews | Tim Conneally: Nokia Lumia 900 unquestionably raises Windows Phone to a higher level [NR]
"This could be the easiest review I've ever written: The Nokia Lumia 900 is absolutely top-notch hardware at an affordable price, and it has everything it takes to be a giant success. with a solid body, solid camera, nice screen, and 4G connectivity, the hardware value is unquestionably through the roof. The mass market is getting an impressively well-rounded device."
• BGR | Zach Epstein: Nokia Lumia 900 review [8/10]
"Nokia’s Lumia 900 is a terrific smartphone that gives Windows Phone its best shot yet to succeed. The hardware is well-designed and unique, the software is intelligent and smooth, the price is right, and the 4G data speeds along with excellent reception and call quality seal the deal."
• Bloomberg BusinessWeek | Rich Jaroslovsky: New Nokia Is Good Phone at Great Price [NR]
"Even at twice the price, the Lumia 900 would be a creditable challenger to Android phones from the likes of Samsung, Motorola Mobility (MMI) (MMI) and HTC."
• Chicago Sun-Times | Andy Ihnatko: Can Windows Phone - and Nokia Lumia 900 - take on iPhone, Android? [8/10]
"For the sort of user for whom a phone is simply an accessory to life and is neither the lens through which life is experienced nor the sword with which their daily battles are fought, the Lumia 900 and Windows Phone are worth wanting."
• CNET | Jessica Dolcourt: Nokia Lumia 900 (black, AT&T) [8/10]
"The Nokia Lumia 900's unique design and high-end features make Windows Phone look fantastic, and the price is extremely fair. Despite some flaws, this is my favorite Windows Phone yet."
• Computer World | Preston Gralla: Nokia Lumia 900 puts Windows Phone back in the race [NR]
"If you've been sitting on the fence about making the switch to Windows Phone 7, the just-released Lumia 900 could prod you to make the leap over. This stylish, well-engineered phone shows off the strengths of the Windows Phone platform on a bright, crisp 4.3-in. AMOLED screen with a high-bandwidth LTE connection."
• Engadget | Joseph Volpe & Myriam Joire: Nokia Lumia 900 review [8/10]
"Nokia's Lumia 900 is a steal for consumers looking for dependable performance, ease of use, LTE connectivity, an attractive design and reasonable price."
• Geek.com | Russell Holly: Review: Nokia Lumia 900 for AT&T [9/10]
"For the price, the Nokia Lumia 900 is absolutely the best phone on AT&T’s 4G LTE network, and a huge boost to the Windows Phone lineup."
• GigaOM | Kevin C. Tofel: Nokia Lumia 900 reviewed: The Windows Phone to get [8/10]
"With the Lumia 900, Nokia has proven — at least to me — that it can bring its design chops and hardware experience to compete against the iPhone and Android devices. The phone also illustrates that Windows Phone is a very competent operating system with a fast-growing ecosystem."
• Gizmodo | Sam Biddle: Nokia Lumia 900 Review: This Might Save Windows Phone (Updated) [9/10]
"The Lumia 800 was one of the most beautiful phones ever built in the long history of phone-building ... the Lumia 900, is bigger, faster, and—maybe most surprisingly—cheaper. The Lumia 900 is a phone that every single person should consider owning."
• Laptop Magazine | Mark Spoonauer: Nokia Lumia 900 (AT&T Wireless) Review [8/10]
"If the Nokia Lumia 900 was $199 we'd still say it was a worthy flagship device for Windows Phone, so at $99, it's a fantastic value. The design looks and feels great, the interface is as compelling as ever, and the addition of 4G LTE helps speed up everything..."
• Mashable | Peter Pachal: Nokia Lumia 900 is best Windows phone ever [NR]
"While Windows Phones until now have generally been capable if not outstanding devices, the Lumia 900 brings Microsoft's mobile platform to a new level. ... I've been using the Lumia 900 for the past week, and it's a great smartphone. It's also an excellent example of just how far the Windows Phone platform has come since its debut a year and a half ago."
• MobileBurn | Dan Seifert: The hero smartphone Windows Phone has been looking for [9/10]
"The Lumia 900 features a stunning industrial design, great build quality, and a fantastic...display. Add in great network performance, solid battery life, and a fast and fluid user interface...and you start to see that AT&T and Nokia really might have a winner on their hands."
• MobileTech Review | Lisa Gade: Nokia Lumia 900 [NR]
"If you got the idea that we really like the Nokia Lumia 900, you're right. The elegant and durable design, unique appearance, simply irresistible ClearBlack AMOLED display and fast performance have us hooked. Throw in 4G LTE with fallback to HSPA+ and Nokia's excellent camera with Carl Zeiss lens and it's good times for Windows Phone 7.5. The Lumia 900 has excellent call quality, good reception and a compelling selection of Nokia custom apps."
• NY Times | David Pogue: 2 Underdogs Produce, but in Time? [7/10]
"This Nokia phone and its Microsoft operating system are truly lovely — more beautiful than the iPhone or Android software, and, for most functions, just as powerful. But is that enough to make you willing to sacrifice important apps."
• PC Mag | Sascha Segan: Nokia Lumia 900 (AT&T) [8/10]
"The Nokia Lumia 900 for AT&T is a powerful, easy-to-use Windows Phone. It's great, as long as you don't need Words With Friends or some other apps you might find on an iPhone or an Android phone."
• PC World | Ginny Mies: Nokia Lumia 900 Review: Best Windows Phone So Far [8/10]
"With a stunning display, fast data speeds, and a versatile camera, the Lumia 900 has what it takes to compete with the iPhone and with Android handsets — if Microsoft and AT&T can win over customers."
• Phone Arena | John V: Nokia Lumia 900 Review [8/10]
"Despite not being the most cutting edge thing out there, it’s a valiant offering from Nokia’s camp. ... It’s not entirely flawless with its offerings and performance, but it delivers enough quality elements to the table. Combined with its stellar pricing it’s sure to stand head above water over the competition."
• Phone Scoop | Eric M. Zeman: Nokia Lumia 900 for AT&T [9/10]
"The Nokia Lumia 900 is the best overall device I've seen from Nokia in years. It doesn't hit every nail on the head, but it's a strong framework on which I hope to see Nokia build further. ... In the world of Windows Phone, the Nokia Lumia 900 is as good as it gets for the moment. "
• Pocket Now | Nokia Lumia 900 (AT&T) [9/10]
It's got everything: great build quality, large screen, high speed LTE, great battery life, beautiful design, a stable/smooth/fun/easy/capable operating system, great reception, and a fantastic price.
• Popular Science | Dan Nosowitz: Nokia Lumia 900 Review: Bigger Is Not Always Better [7/10]
"The Lumia 900 is a pretty good phone...the Lumia 900 is very nice. And yet I don't think it's as good a phone as the Lumia 800 (though the LTE speeds are delightful)."
• Seattle Times | Brier Dudley: Nokia Lumia 900 review: A sleek contender [NR]
"If you're inclined to try a Windows Phone, the Lumia 900 is perhaps the best option on the market now. Its refined hardware and advanced technology should serve buyers well through the life of their phone contract."
• ReadWriteWeb | Dan Rowinski: The Nokia Lumia 900 Could Be Today's Best Smartphone, But... [8/10]
"Unless you are absolutely in love with the Windows Phone interface, there is little reason to dump an iPhone or a high-end Android device for the Lumia 900."
• Slash Gear | Nokia Lumia 900 review: Nokia Lumia 900 review [8/10]
"The Nokia Lumia 900 is without a doubt one of the best Windows phones we’ve ever tested up to this point. Those already committed to Android, iOS or Blackberry are unlikely to be swayed, but new smartphone buyers should seriously consider the phone and not just because of its looks or software."
• Techno Buffalo | Todd Haselton: Nokia Lumia 900 Review: The Windows Phone You’ve Been Waiting For [9/10]
"It’s the perfect marriage of Windows Phone and beautiful, first-class hardware all in a super affordable $99 package ... if Windows Phone does suit your fancy, the Lumia 900 is, hands down the best option available."
• Time | Jared Newman: Nokia Lumia 900 Review: A Solid Slab of Windows Phone [7/10]
"Although the Lumia 800 was a better realization of the Nokia-Microsoft alliance, the Lumia 900 comes close to the mark with its striking design, and it brings some of its own perks such as a front-facing camera, LTE support, and a low price with a two-year AT&T contract."
• USA Today | Edward C. Baig: Nokia Lumia 900 is a bold comeback move [8/10]
"Against the iPhone and Android, Nokia faces formidable competition. But with an attractive price, refreshing operating system and a growing supply of apps, Nokia may be well on the way to crafting a compelling comeback story."
• Venturebeat | Devindra Hardawar: Nokia’s Lumia 900 is the best $100 smartphone yet (review) [7/10]
"Who would have thought that a Windows Phone — and one from Nokia, no less — would be one of the best alternatives to Apple’s iPhone that we’ve ever seen. And at $100, it’s a downright steal."
• WP Central | Daniel Rubino: Nokia Lumia 900 Review [NR]
"With one of the best displays for a Windows Phone around, a $99 price point and Nokia’s svelte and sexy design, the AT&T Lumia 900 is one of the best values for a smartphone today. For those people upgrading from a first generation Windows Phone to those folks just coming on board, the Nokia Lumia 900 is sure to impress."
• ZDNet | Matthew Miller: The Nokia Lumia 900 will be a hot seller on AT&T [9/10]
"What can I say? I love the Lumia 900 and as a fan of the platform it is one of the best Windows Phone devices I have ever used."
- Eric -